Creative Midlands East

Creative Midlands East


The Lives of Ghosts – Megan Taylor

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 02:22 AM PDT

Nottingham it seems is never short of talented folk for us to write about. One of these such beings is the lovely author, Megan Taylor. Her third novel – "The Lives of Ghosts", is to be released on April 26th. She has been so kind as to give us a sneak preview of the books blurb.

"There were ghosts at the loch house long before we arrived with ours."

After her parents are killed in a car accident, twelve-year old Liberty Fuller is left in the care of her young pregnant stepmother, Marie.

Bewildered and grief stricken, they travel to a remote Scottish holiday home searching for a place to heal, but once isolated from the

Book cover courtesy to Megan Taylor, author.

outside world, they find themselves surrendering to the dark tensions underlying their relationship.

Twenty-five years later, Liberty's own pregnancy forces her on a journey into the past as she attempts to confront the secrets of the loch house, and the ghosts still waiting there…

Megan said to us: "I'm over the moon, can hardly believe my third book is about to be published!

I've been living, working and most of all writing in Nottingham for nine years.  When I arrived I was just thirty, my children were tiny, and finding myself here, in a rush and somewhat unexpectedly (my partner then had found what he'd hoped might be his dream job) I suddenly found I had an opportunity to focus on my writing.  Leaving my London life behind prompted me to begin How We Were Lost, which was to become my first published novel and to enrol on an online Creative Writing MA.  But it wasn't simply about having some space, it soon came to be about Nottingham itself.

Nottingham is a brilliant place to be a writer.  Aside from its literary celebrities (from Byron through Lawrence to Sillitoe to far more recent award winners like McGregor and Monaghan, to name just a very few), it has so much every week to offer, from university courses and workshops to pub poetry readings and bookgroups.  Lowdham Festival's nearby and Nottingham is home to some fantastic independent presses, including Five Leaves and Pewter Rose (and of course the wonderful Weathervane Press, my current publisher).  It's a city brimming with enthusiasm for words, and perhaps nowhere more so than at Nottingham Writers' Studio, which over the years has provided me and other local writers with support, opportunities and the odd glass of wine.  I have met so many fascinating, talented and generous people at NWS.  I've made interesting contacts – and unforgettable friends.

And so while none of my stories (so far!) are actually set in Nottingham  (although the nearby Derbyshire Peak District certainly helped to shape my second novel, The Dawning) I am incredibly proud to be launching The Lives of Ghosts here in April.

Come along if you like!"

One review of the book has already stated: " 'Stunning, absolutely stunning, this chilling tale is woven with sparingly eloquent prose. It is fearless, it is believable, it is captivating. I am left with an ache. I understand human suffering just that little bit more.'  - Caroline Smailes, author of 'In search of Adam', 'Black Boxes' and 'Like Bees to Honey.'"

Safe to say, we're exited to give it read!

If you want to read more about Megan, find an article on her here: http://www.nottinghamwritersstudio.co.uk/news/megan-taylor-launches-the-lives-of-ghosts/

And if you're interested in finding out more about The Lives of Ghosts generally (including exciting news about its pre-release on Kindle!), there's a Facebook page –

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Lives-of-Ghosts/247304625344800

And the lord said; Let them eat cake.

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 01:41 PM PDT

It's amazing to think that a month has flown by since we last talked about the wondrous delight that is cake.

As you've guessed, I'm referring to one of our favourite monthly events here in Nottingham: Cake Club's Monthly Meets!

This month has been particularly special for these talented bunch of ingenious baking-connoisseurs as their event was sponsored by the one and only BMI Baby to help celebrate their tenth birthday. Therefore, the stakes were high as prize for the best holiday/birthday/flight themed cake was 2 free flights to any European destination.

It is safe to say, everyone pulled out all the stocks with cakes, buns and biscuits all shapes, sizes, flavours and colours (we even had a cake in a sand bucket!)

After a tense ten minutes, the votes were in & the judges from BMI Baby decided that Andy Warwick's masterpiece was the deserved winner. (We're sure he and Tiny were thrilled!)

He said to us: "After so many months trying to win best cake (not at all competitive! :) ), I never thought I'd win on best themed. With so many amazing bakers attending, many of whom do it professionally, it was a real surprise to win the flights. I was really happy with what I'd produced, and figured I'd have a decent chance, but had no idea what I'd be up against. Have to say, if it was judged on taste I don't think I would have won, as there were so many great cakes there."

 The Clubs chosen charity for this month was Rainbows Hospice in Loughborough, which helps support children with life-long conditions and their families. To see more or donate please visit their site: http://www.rainbows.co.uk/

As per norm in Cake Club circumstances, the mad dash to cake bar left only empty plates, sugar rushes and many very happy bakers.

The Club have yet another exciting announcement for those of you who feel just one meet a month is NOT ENOUGH (We here at CreativeNottingham certainly do not). There will now be a mid-month smaller cake dining sesh alongside the main monthly event.

Check out @cakeclubnotts or http://main.cakeeaters.co.uk/ for news of their next up and coming events along with amazing recipes from the cake-geniuses.

Photo Copyright @cakeclubnotts - Andy Warwick's winning cake (and Tiny!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.