Creative Midlands Heritage

Creative Midlands Heritage


Rifle Ranges - Cannock Chase

Posted: 16 Jan 2012 06:23 AM PST

This area has an incredible amount of military history, I've been doing a lot of research into it myself and have found building remains, railway routes, practice trenches and ranges, sewage treatment remains, bullet tips, midden mounds, man-made waterways, theres lots to see but its a vast area and I've only seen a little of it to date. Just signed up for Flickr and already maxed out for this month, I did manage to creep a few in though, if you dont mind me poaching your thread...:)

I'd encourage any new explorers to visit this area, I can provide map points for many features that I've discovered so far, and its all completely free and open access to the public. Unfortunately not much remains of the buildings themselves, but there are artifacts to be found and theres many visitors centres where information is abundant.

Shrapnel:

One of many holes to fall down:

Not much is left of Brindley village, except some foundations and memorials:

Wartime crockery:

Some bits retrieved from a midden mound:

A pillbox thats not in bad condition:

I think this is a gun emplacement, theres 4 turrets, each turret has a concrete circular walled base spanning around 20 metres:


Each pair of turrets has the remains of what was perhaps an ammo store or comms bunker:

Water or fuel tank, buried in the moss:


Remains of a wash room:


Thats just a few to be getting on with, I'll perhaps start a fresh thread when Flickr resets my allowance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.